Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Contractions - "You will feel those!"...or then not

I have heard people saying, as long as I can recall:" When you get contractions, which are real ones...trust me, you will notice them."
Well, funny enough either my pain tolerance level is really good or my body just is not considering contractions worth giving any nerve signals.
One month ago (while I was on wk 24) I was at the office, typical busy Monday, working the day away. I noticed some pelvic pressure but it was not coming & going, it was just there and it was not painful. Sitting in the office and especially if you do not use the restroom immediately when the signs are there, creates pelvic pressure too. It was not first time I felt that kind of pressure.

So, I worked the day through. Commented to my colleague that not feeling 100% due to the pelvic pressure...but other than that, the day was like any other.
When I got home, took a nap and felt better. Later got slight lower back tension but it was not painful and went away. Slept through the night like a baby.

As per all the pregnancy books and internet pages those could be just very usual pregnancy symptoms, nothing to worry about.

I had the regular doctor's appointment for next morning. Ultrasound revealed the cervix had shortened a lot and had funneling (still not totally sure what that means...but I guess I will find out eventually). After discussing with the doctor any sensations I may have had, which I paid attention to...it became obvious that my pelvic pressure during the work day were contractions, as was the tension on the back. Which had lead to the cervix being pushed months ahead in its stage of preparedness for delivery.

My doctor wanted to have risk pregnancy expert team's opinion (read the whole Dr House-like adventure: LINK) on what are the options to prolong the pregnancy. As I was beyond wk 22 cerglace (stitches...yep...auch) was not an option anymore. Too many risks to damage the amniotic sack.

As they were monitoring me at the hospital....the contraction monitor showed that I was having contractions even then...but still I could not feel anything! How can it be that the one thing that one thing I keep hearing that will be notable...I cannot feel a thing?
Well, luckily they do have those monitors to show the data and one does not need to rely on whether I can feel it or not.  Everything was stopped with the help of magnesium sulfate and now I am 4 weeks further and baby is still inside the belly.

But the first 2 weeks after the hospital, I was really jumpy. Each little sensation made me question if this is now the real thing again or just practice contractions?

I got Nifedipine tablets, which are actually for lowering the blood pressure but due to the side effect of
relaxing the muscles, they are used to stop premature contractions. Twice in the last 4 weeks I have had such a day that I felt the need to take one. After the first time I was mentally beating myself for being so jumpy about it. When I talked to the insurance pregnancy case responsible, she calmed me down saying that it is better I take the tablet than decide not to...and then realize later that it is too late to stop anything anymore.

After talking to some friends, who recently went through a delivery...I finally have one friend, who has the same case as I do. She does not feel the contractions.
So, I learned not to trust the statement made everywhere "you know, when you have real contractions", it is not given that every person would feel them.  Keeping "my legs" crossed that forces of the universe allow the pregnancy to continue as close to the due date as possible. May the force be with us :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Translate

 
Blogger Templates